You add variables in your source while creating the dashboard and all the data you import in the source is done by creating variables based on questions and answer choices, metadata, embedded data. However, you can group two or more variables from a single survey to create a group variable and you can take a single action for all the variables under the group at once.
This feature is used to group similar question types under one. For example, you have three rating-type questions in your survey and you wish to make them into a single variable, you can use the grouping feature to create a single variable. You can provide the name to the variable and add as many individual variables as you want. For reference, we will club two rating questions in the survey. Both the rating variables are named rate, rate1. We will create a new variable with them.
Steps to make a group variable
The grouping of the variable can be done from the Source page. You are directed to Source Page while you are creating a new Dashboard or you can access Source from the Source Button on your current Dashboard.
- Click on Add Variable and enter the name you wish to put for the Group Variable
- Click on Select Variable in the Source on the right side. After that, select the variable you wish to add to Group Variable and click on Add
- Click on the Settings button on your Variable and select Make Group Variable
- Once you do that, click again on Setting button and select Add Variable To Group
- Select the second variable you want to add to the Group Variable and click Add.
- Follow the last two steps to add more variables to the group.
You can either create a new group variable or click on the settings button for the existing variable and click on Make Group Variable and add more variables to it. The choice would be dependent on your need.
Group Variable would now be shown in the Select Value, Break By, and Nested By