Formula derived variable by Survey2Connect allows you to calculate some scores based on questions in the survey/ Embedded data. With Formula Derived Variable do advance calculations and use BODMAS. You can create formulas such as x+y, x*y+z.
Example of Formula Derived Variable
If you are asking for respondents age in the survey and you want to group them on the basis below 18, 19-25, 26-30 and 30 and above, this could be done with Formula derived variable.
The steps to creating a formula derived variable are as follows:
1. Go to Derived Variables on the Analyse Results page
2. Click on +New Derived Variable
3. Select Formula on the popup
4. Enter the name of the derived variable
5. Enter the formula you want to create. You can create formulae such as x+y or x-y/z. You can use extra functionality such as f(x), abs, ceil, floor.
6. Select x value. You can select any question’s answer choices or you can select Embedded data or Derived Variable. You can choose to either carry value or codes. If your answer choice carries additional text, you can carry that too.
7. Similar to the previous step, select the value for y.
8. Click on Create Value
abs= Absolute value. In this case, the absolute value would be returned to the argument. For example — if you have a value of minus three and you apply abs functionality, it would return the value of 3 to the formula.
ceil = Upper value. In this case, the upper value of the integer would be given to the formula. For example, if you have a value of 2.3, it would consider it as 3.
floor == Lower value. In this case, the lower value of the integer would be given to the formula. For example, if you have a value of 2.3, it would consider it as 2.